[ExI] ambiguously evil triplets, was: RE: [Bulk] Re: The list is in the timeline

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Dec 10 05:54:41 UTC 2015

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Mike Dougherty
Subject: [Bulk] Re: [ExI] The list is in the timeline

On Dec 9, 2015 9:48 AM, "spike" <spike66 at att.net <mailto:spike66 at att.net> > wrote:

>>… Your comment has me pondering evil twins and triplets in general.  The evil
> twin thing is fairly simple, the terms unambiguous.  But once we introduce
> the complexity of triplets…

>…Now in this case of a triple,  I'd like to propose something that already exists in the domain of set theory applied to SQL/database design; another dimension of evil: Null… Mike Dougherty…

OK so I pondered more on this and wrote a script to calculate multi-generation hetero- and homo-evaluation of the ethics of the siblings.  The game is to sum the votes for righteousness, use that sum in each column as a multiplier for that sister’s vote to give each sister a new ethics score in generation 2.  Repeat repeatedly.  30 generations should be enough silliness.

Case 1, the symmetrical case, each triplet gives herself a 1 for righteous and each chooses a different sister for the evil one.  All three end up with a boring zero and nobody cares about their opinion because each are exactly between good and evil:

Alice

Betty

Carla

Alice

1

-1

0

Betty

0

1

-1

Carla

-1

0

1

generation

Alice

Betty

Carla

1

0

0

0

2

0

0

0

3

0

0

0

4

0

0

0

5

0

0

0

Zzzzzzzz.

Case 2, Carla decides she isn’t so righteous, gives herself a neutral and gives her righteous vote to sister Alice:

Alice

Betty

Carla

Alice

1

-1

0

Betty

0

1

-1

Carla

1

-1

0

generation

Alice

Betty

Carla

1

2

-1

-1

2

1

-2

1

3

2

-4

2

4

4

-8

4

5

8

-16

8

6

16

-32

16

7

32

-64

32

8

64

-128

64

9

128

-256

128

10

256

-512

256

11

512

-1024

512

12

1024

-2048

1024

13

2048

-4096

2048

If that happens, then Carla and Alice tie, both righteous, and Betty comes out as evil as Carla and Alice together are good.  I am starting to think that righteousness might be a zero sum conserved quantity, neither created nor destroyed, but passed around between siblings.

Case 3, Carla decides she’s evil (perhaps for nuking the not-so-bad-once-you-get-to-know-her Betty) and gives herself an evil, again giving Alice the righteous vote:

Alice

Betty

Carla

Alice

1

-1

0

Betty

0

1

-1

Carla

1

0

-1

generation

Alice

Betty

Carla

1

2

0

-2

2

0

-2

2

3

2

-2

0

4

2

-4

2

5

4

-6

2

6

6

-10

4

7

10

-16

6

8

16

-26

10

9

26

-42

16

10

42

-68

26

11

68

-110

42

12

110

-178

68

13

178

-288

110

14

288

-466

178

15

466

-754

288

16

754

-1220

466

Again, the sum of all evil is zero, and again Betty is as evil as Alice and Carla, but Alice wins.  Here’s a graph.  All the Alices will be orange (both start with vowels) all Bettys are Blue, all Carlas are Cyan, and no I didn’t know what color cyan is, yes I had to google on it.  I won’t fake it: I am straight and can only see ten colors (the resistor color code.)  Here’s the plot for case 3:

Now if the auto-evil Carla decides Betty is the good one, then the case is stable and boring once more:

Alice

Betty

Carla

Alice

1

-1

0

Betty

0

1

-1

Carla

0

1

-1

generation

Alice

Betty

Carla

1

1

1

-2

2

1

-2

1

3

1

-2

1

4

1

-2

1

5

1

-2

1

6

1

-2

1

7

1

-2

1

8

1

-2

1

9

1

-2

1

10

1

-2

1

Now if Carla holds onto her low self-esteem and Betty gets into the whole less-holy-than-thou bit, it really gets crazy: Alice is forever stuck being the almost neutral one with the 1 score, but Betty and Carla trade places with each generation, becoming ever more evil and good:

Alice

Betty

Carla

Alice

1

-1

0

Betty

0

-1

1

Carla

0

1

-1

generation

Alice

Betty

Carla

1

1

-1

0

2

1

0

-1

3

1

-2

1

4

1

2

-3

5

1

-6

5

6

1

10

-11

7

1

-22

21

8

1

42

-43

9

1

-86

85

10

1

170

-171

11

1

-342

341

12

1

682

-683

13

1

-1366

1365

14

1

2730

-2731

15

1

-5462

5461

16

1

10922

-10923

17

1

-21846

21845

18

1

43690

-43691

19

1

-87382

87381

20

1

174762

-174763

Sheeesh!  Reminds me of the Wizard of Oz.  Dorothy did the whole house-surfing bit, fatally smote the Witch of the East.  We already know the Wicked Witch of the West was wicked (the name gives that away) and the Good Witch of the North is good (that name thing again) but we don’t know about East.  She was flattened when we arrived.  So perhaps she was the neutral, if we assume away the glaring absence of the southern girl.

But I digress.

If Alice gets into the whole self-identification-as-evil game (all three of these girls are in need of some basic psychological counseling (their parents must have been seriously deficient in child-rearing skills)) then more fun weirdness happens, with Alice marginally stable but boring (isn’t that the way it always goes?) and the other two increasingly schizophrenic or bipolar (I am an engineer, not a psychologist (BillW, save me from me, pal)):

Alice

Betty

Carla

Alice

-1

0

1

Betty

0

-1

1

Carla

0

1

-1

generation

Alice

Betty

Carla

1

-1

0

1

2

1

1

-2

3

-1

-3

4

4

1

7

-8

5

-1

-15

16

6

1

31

-32

7

-1

-63

64

8

1

127

-128

9

-1

-255

256

10

1

511

-512

11

-1

-1023

1024

12

1

2047

-2048

13

-1

-4095

4096

14

1

8191

-8192

15

-1

-16383

16384

16

1

32767

-32768

I have the software, if anyone here wants it.