[ExI] Religious Idiocy Triumphs Over Science Yet Again

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 07:29:51 UTC 2015

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 6:41 PM, Will Steinberg <steinberg.will at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Try them.  You're missing out on a portion of reality that is a
> SIGNIFICANTLY large amount of information I guarantee you won't get
> otherwise.  Ask people here who have tripped. It's a qualitative experience
> that is very difficult to describe.

I've never used them, but I've tripped on life itself at times.

The problem is, insights gained under such a state often turn out to be
illusory, critically flawed, or so mundane that most who are not tripping
would consider them obvious.  You are left with the memory that you had
some profound insight...but, in fact, all that you had was the memory of
that, not the actual insight.  Your memories yell and scream that you had
the real thing, but those memories were manufactured by the drugs.
External measurements show that no such insights were captured, even if you
were specifically trying to defeat this illusion by recording your insights
as clearly as possible so as to bypass any tainting of your memories.  Of
course, in most cases people do not do this, and so are only left with
those fabricated memories.

("But wait", your self-rationalization goes, "I must have just not
written/painted/spoke well enough, because I know it was profound even if
these videos of me show nothing but banal.  I just need to try again!  And
if that fails, again and again!"  No.  It wasn't profound.  It was an
illusion.)