[ExI] Drugs and creativity/was Re: Religious Idiocy Triumphs Over Science Yet Again

Will Steinberg steinberg.will at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 00:16:18 UTC 2015

It's tough too because substances like these, particularly psychedelics,
are anathema to the typical research setting such as a lab or hospital.
Staying in one place or answering "normal" questions on LSD becomes
anxiety- or terror-producing.  But it's hardly scientific to say "take
these drops and go do whatever, and let me know how it went."

I think this raises an important question that I believe arises in the
minds of many scientists on psychedelics when they inevitably think about
the scientific study of psychedelics: is there a different route of
analysis than science that can collect information on this stuff better?

I think it's very possible that science isn't always, or even isn't
usually, the best way to study psychedelics.  So what's a better option?
Spiritualists and theologers throughout history have performed their own
"studies" parallel to science.

I don't really believe that science needs to be replaced or given an
alternate method of inquiry.  However, I think it's definitely true that
current science needs augmentation.  This is becoming and will become more
apparent as we study cosmology, relativity, and quantum physics more
deeply.  It's already happening--we're more and more quickly approaching a
time where science doesn't have the grammar to study the new questions it
has unearthed.

So what needs adding?  More fuzzy logic?  I have no clue.