[ExI] The Turing Church Preaches the Religion of the Future | Motherboard

Giulio Prisco giulio at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 15:28:35 UTC 2015

A balanced and informative article by Andrew Paul titled “The Turing
Church Preaches the Religion of the Future,” published on Motherboard,
describes the Turing Church as a transhumanist group that wants to
“curate the crowdsourcing of a techno-rapture” and “provide a literal
faith in the future.” Paul interviewed yours truly, Micah Redding, and
Eliezer Yudkowsky (who declined to comment on the Turing Church).

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/the-turing-church-preaches-the-religion-of-the-future

Excerpts:

“Based in part on the philosophy of early 20th century Russian
cosmists like Nikolai Fedorov, Prisco and his supporters believe that,
one day, we may, among other things, actually reach back into time
through quantum weirdness and reconstitute our “information,” thus
providing, for all intents and purposes, a resurrection. Once
reconstituted, we should be able to evolve into higher forms of
consciousness currently incomprehensible to mortal minds and
indistinguishable to our current conceptions of gods…”

“Redding is one of the founders of the Christian Transhumanist
Association, a group merging millennia-old Western belief with the
most innovative, global scientific progress of our generation…”

“I think a philosophy or religion should be a DIY project to build an
always incomplete, flexible, work-in-progress, always evolving
personal system of thought,” [Prisco] writes to me. “Just like a free
software project, which is a living project constantly revised and
improved upon, released incrementally, and open to everyone to
contribute…”