[ExI] Fwd: Paper on "Detecting Qualia" presentation at 2015 MTA conference

Henry Rivera hrivera at alumni.virginia.edu
Sun Feb 1 02:07:08 UTC 2015

> On Jan 31, 2015, at 7:51 PM, John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I think nature of the label itself, that is to say the essential qualia, comes from all the things in your memory

I'm going a bit off topic here from Brent's original question...

I think it's clear that John doesn't understand, accept, and/or believe in the concept of qualia, specifically that it is something that could exist a priori to memory and humans, for that matter. This is an accepted concept in philosophy of mind, and such acceptance is pretty much required for any productive discourse. Reevaluating the premise that qualia exist at all is fair-game I guess, but Brent is way past that and doesn't have the patience to do that, you can see.

I support Orch OR which postulates that qualia are part of space time itself, embedded at the Planck scale. This avoids metaphysical solutions to the problem.

This page from a book hosted on Google addresses these concepts succinctly:
https://books.google.com/books?id=dd45AAAAQBAJ&pg=PA94&lpg=PA1&focus=viewport&output=html_text

-Henry