[ExI] darpa's notion of using a retrofitted fighter jet to launch payloads

Robert G Kennedy III, PE robot at ultimax.com
Wed Feb 11 00:22:20 UTC 2015

As described and quoted from The Space Review, this is not a
mono-propellant, it's a bi-propellant.

Furthermore, the two parts (powerful oxidizer, explosive fuel, both of
them gases!) are in the same container.

I think there's a shorter word for that: bomb.

Doesn't sound like a good idea.

Did something get lost in translation? Jeff Foust has been in the space
reporting biz a *long* time.

This is not a new idea. Of course, everyone remembers the little
Reagan-era ASAT launched from an F-15 (Homing Overlay Experiment?).
However the concept was proved much further back than that, the USAF and
the USN launched a variety of experimental ASATs from fighter aircraft
way back in late 1950s. One of them out of China Lake IIRC was jokingly
called "NOTS-NIK" ("NOT a SputNIK"). The NOTS actually stood for
something real, but I forget what.

RGK3

on Mon, 9 Feb 2015 20:10:07 +0000, BillK <pharos at gmail.com>, said:

> It is a new design for small rockets launched from aircraft.
> There is a good review here:
> <http://www.thespacereview.com/article/2543/1>
> Quote:
> Boeing plans to take a unique approach with the ALASA launch vehicle
> that is also intended to lower complexity and thus costs. The rocket
> will be powered by a monopropellant: a combination of nitrous oxide

--
Robert G Kennedy III, PE
www.ultimax.com