[ExI] Human head transplant in two years???

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Feb 26 21:09:27 UTC 2015

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf
Of BillK

>... Now he claims the major hurdles, such as fusing the spinal cord and
preventing the body's immune system from rejecting the head, are
surmountable, and the surgery could be ready as early as 2017.

<http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22530103.700-first-human-head-transpl
ant-could-happen-in-two-years.html?full=true>

----------------------

I've just had a word with my body and it says that it feels fine, but a new
head would be nice.

BillK

They wouldn't even necessarily need to work out all the organ rejection
problems.

Scenario: a person with a loooootta lotta medical problems, another person
with mashed frontal lobes but intact brainstem, such as motorcycle crash
victims who don't wear helmets.  Swap the heads, don't bother with the
spinal columns, keep the good head and the good body together only long
enough to do extensive painful surgeries on the body with the mashed head.
Then when the healing is far enough along, swap them back, inject stem cells
or whatever tech they propose to fuse the spinal cords and no worries with
rejection because body and head were only temporarily separated.