[ExI] Transhumanist/sf themed tabletop games

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Fri Feb 27 17:09:27 UTC 2015

Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> , 27/2/2015 6:24 AM:

I have a friend who raves about Eclipse Phase, but I've read through it and a lot of its concepts seem almost unplayable, as a consequence of its setting.

Rave, rave, rave! Me and my groups found it totally playable. Yes, you need to gloss over things to some extent to keep it playable, but we had a lot of interesting adventures in the setting.
http://www.aleph.se/EclipsePhase/
I have earlier mentioned the essay on law and order on the Extropia habitat on this list, for some reason.

I'm running a game based around several independent Singularities happening at once (a common mildly tech-suppressive government - e.g., giving public support for those sciences that advanced humanity in little steps without empowering the masses too much - suddenly lost access to and control of the area) and running into one another, with the PCs charged with cleaning up the resulting chaos.  You may know what to do when someone asks if you are a god, but what about when what's supposed to be the sworn enemy of your race tells you that you are a god and sets about proving it?

Sounds good!

My current campaign setting is relatively low-tech (not to far from classical cyberpunk), but there are signs that there are both nanomachines, AI, megastructures and *really* strange things (million kilometre spaceships, anyone?) in the bigger universe - which makes it extra suspicious that humanity has failed at building an AI smarter than IQ 60 for so long... let's just say that the truth gives the word "posthuman" an entirely new twist.

An ExtroCon would be fun.

Anders Sandberg, Future of Humanity Institute Philosophy Faculty of Oxford University