[ExI] Robust and beneficial AI

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Jan 12 22:41:28 UTC 2015

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Anders Sandberg
Subject: [ExI] Robust and beneficial AI

http://futureoflife.org/static/data/documents/research_priorities.pdf

>…Getting AI to be safe and "fit for purpose" (whether driving or being a companion species) is slowly becoming mainstream. This list can in true hipster fashion claim to have debated it long before it became cool. ..Anders Sandberg

Wait, what?  It’s cool now?  It seems every time I try to discuss AI with normal people I am met with either vague or overt negativity and even hostility toward the whole notion.  The one exception is self-driving cars: everyone wants that, nearly everyone.  The professional drivers don’t, but the rest of us do.