[ExI] Robust and beneficial AI

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 06:50:45 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 5:41 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> Wait, what?  It’s cool now?  It seems every time I try to discuss AI with
> normal people I am met with either vague or overt negativity and even
> hostility toward the whole notion.  The one exception is self-driving cars:
> everyone wants that, nearly everyone.  The professional drivers don’t, but
> the rest of us do.

### I have been reading Nick's book in the past few days, now that it is
much cheaper on Kindle, and it does at times seem like a synopsis of the
discussions we had here in the nineties. Even the protein engineering
pathway to AI doom that I first wrote about here in a discussion with Eli
is mentioned. Nick also writes about the domesticated and meek AI (which I
called "athymhormic" in discussions with Eli on SL4) as the potentially
easiest to envision FAI. Altogether a nice read, nothing really new for us
old weirdos, but may be slightly disconcerting for normal people like Mr
Musk who tweeted he was worried about out future after reading it.

I was worried when my transhumanism folder on gmail was staying empty, now
I feel better :)

Rafal

BTW, I bought the Kindle Voyage as a Xmas gift for myself, it's really
nice, even better than the old Paperwhite. Great for reading in
restaurants, which I do daily.