[ExI] vultures sneeze

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Jan 17 18:24:18 UTC 2015

Crows and ravens are special birds, and are perhaps the easiest wild birds to observe: they like people.  Or they like to mess with people.  Seagulls are like that too.  They play, they seem curious, they do fun stuff.

BillW, we have a few ravens who have discovered how to put walnuts in the road and let cars run over them, but even better now.  There is a phenomenon in my neighborhood where a raven with a nut will perch on top of a light pole on the corner.  When she hears a garage door opening, she takes the nut, swoops down and places it in the driveway, then flies away to watch.  You are the one who asked if dogs reason.  Answer: sure they do, and this bird is demonstrating that this bird reasons too.  She knows that when a garage door opens, a car will come out, and cars crush nuts and a bird can’t get to the contents of a nut unless it is crushed.

Cars are recent, automatic garage door openers are even more recent.  That bird at some point reasoned out a cause and effect relationship and acted on it.  Conclusion: some birds definitely use reason, and it is clear enough that dogs and cats do as well.  I don’t think you will find too many dog and cat owners who will dispute that notion, or if so, I am interested in their evidence.

spike