[ExI] SETI for Post Singularity Civ

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 20:45:46 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 2:19 PM, <avant at sollegro.com> wrote:

> > What if ET *does* convert 1% of the low entropy light into IR and RF
> because that is all it needs?

As I said the only people who are content with things exactly as they are
now are drug addicts with unlimited supply of heroin.

> > I Perhaps VN probes are illegal in ET society

I don't understand why any society would do that, much less do I understand
why EVERY ET society in the universe would do it? And is Earth the only
place in the  universe that has criminals who don't always obey the law?

> > I assumed a lack of megaengineering.

That would be a incorrect assumption.

> Yet you keep forcing the issue without a shred of evidence

All it would take is the ability to move things with atomic precision and
we know it can be done because we have a existence example, life.
Admittedly it's a crude version of Nanotechnology but it's about as good as
you could hope for considering that it was invented by random mutation and
natural selection. And life was good enough to manufacture me, every atom
that's in me today came from last years potatoes, and life was good enough
to manufacture last years potatoes from nothing but water, carbon dioxide
and nitrogen from the air, and a few trace elements from the soil.  Not bad
but  I have a hunch intelligence can do better, one hell of a lot better. I
should add that the fact that the area human beings are able to
successfully engineer is cut in half ever18 months gives me a hint that
Nanotechnology is making progress. One hell of a lot of progress actually.

> To summarize your argument:
>   Intelligent Life -> Singularity -> Dyson sphere -> Von Neumann probes ->
> 5Myrs -> No visible stars

It's more like:
Intelligent Life -> Nanotechnology -> Singularity ->Von Neumann probes ->
Dyson spheres -> 50Myrs -> No visible stars

> > Do you not see how each step in the process is subject to a whole bunch
> of variables that can throw a monkey wrench into tour tidy progression of
> events?

Is you chain of reasoning that ET does exist shorter than my chain the he
does not? I don't think so.

 > Thermodynamic efficiency is defined as the ratio of Work Output / Energy
> Input. The laws of thermodynamics ensure that it is always less than or
> equal to unity. How does letting the denominator grow without bound,
> increase that ratio?

The denominator doesn't grow and nobody is letting it do anything, it
remains fixed, it's the energy produced by the Galaxy. And most of that
energy comes from the minority of stars that are larger than our sun. And
all that energy just radiates uselessly into infinite space. What a waste!

  John K Clark