[ExI] Fwd: Paper on "Detecting Qualia" presentation at 2015 MTA conference

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at canonizer.com
Thu Jan 29 23:24:46 UTC 2015

John,

You know how to ask the right questions.  Your last question about my
statement: “Glutamate behaves the way it does BECAUSE of its redness
quality.” Helped  me to understand that this is not the right way to say it.
“BECAUSE” implies a cause and effect relationship, which is not right.  The
two are simply two different ways to look at the same physically detectable
stuff:

1: The Strawberry is causally red, and this physical property can be
detected.

2: The strawberry reflects 650 nm light

Now you are asking another good question: “if X fully represents Y how can
X not have all the qualities of Y?”

Let me see if it helps to put it this way:

Would you agree that something, detectable, is responsible for the
elemental redness quality you can experience?

If so, what do you imagine it to be?  Certainly, it is not infinite in
complexity, whatever it is?

And would you agree that the word red (nor any other zombie knowledge) has
or is the same as whatever that is?

Yet, you can interpret enough abstract symbols, (which by definition do not
have redness) to represent anything you want, but only if you know how to
qualitatively interpret it back to the real thing that does have, or is
responsible for redness?

Brent