[ExI] Question: Russia and Biotech Industry

Ilia Stambler ilia.stambler at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 16:01:14 UTC 2015

As far as it appears, the state of biotechnology and medical technology in
Russia is terrible (I include some references in Russian, as they were
easier to find). Some examples:

Most foreign biomedical technology was banned for import into Russia (by
the Russians themselves), and now new Russian analogs are being developed
(understandably of inferior quality) and tested on the Russian population.

http://daily.rbc.ru/investigation/economics/23/06/2014/54af1a389a794744819c108d

The use of any embryonic stem cells was banned by the government

http://izvestia.ru/news/546449

The law was passed to ban the use of any form of GMO in agriculture.

http://geektimes.ru/post/249666/

The “Dynasty Foundation” that supported a lot of Russian science,
especially biomedical science, was recently branded as “Foreign Agent”

http://www.newsru.com/russia/15jun2015/dynasty.html

Many hospitals and medical research institutes (including gerontological
research institutes) have been closed:

http://www.aif.ru/society/healthcare/1402197

There were some reports about some interesting biotechnological
developments in Russia, such as tissue 3D printing, and some other great
science done by heroic Russian scientists against all odds… Yet, overall it
does not seem to be a very favorable place for development…

On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 6:23 PM, <natasha at natasha.cc> wrote:

> Hello!
>

> Does anyone know about the advances in biotechnology in Russia today and
> its future?  Are the regulations still more flexible than in the US and
> elsewhere?
>

> Any knowledge you can impart is appreciated!
>

> Thank you,
>

> Natasha

Ilia Stambler, PhD

Outreach Coordinator. International Society on Aging and Disease - ISOAD
http://isoad.org

Chair. Israeli Longevity Alliance / International Longevity Alliance
(Israel) - ILA http://www.bioaging.org.il

Coordinator. Longevity for All http://www.longevityforall.org

Author. Longevity History. *A History of Life-Extensionism in the Twentieth
Century* http://longevityhistory.com

Email: ilia.stambler at gmail.com

Tel: 972-3-961-4296 / 0522-283-578

Rishon Lezion. Israel