[ExI] Vermis ex machina

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 18:41:51 UTC 2015

On Sat, Feb 28, 2015 at 9:04 PM, Rafal Smigrodzki <
rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't think that the human brain has the same level of redundancy as
> the worm system. The worm has each neuron and synapse hardwired, there is
> really no redundancy at all, a loss of any single neuron is likely to
> produce a change in the system behavior that might be quite substantial.
> The human brain is wired stochastically, keeps rewiring itself from minute
> to minute, millions of neurons die daily and yet the system is stable over
> decades. Most likely human brains have a lot more redundancy than the worm,
> which means that the uploading requirements might be lower than your
> estimate.

I agree. Most think that Long Term Potentiation is the molecular basis of
memory and in the January 28 1994 issue of Science Dan Madison and Erin
Schuman found that Long Term Potentiation spreads out, by diffusion of
Nitric Oxide (NO), over several cell diameters;  so you have lots of copies
of the same identical information, so a single synapse can't be the
equivalent of one bit of information, instead a bunch of potentiated
synapses work together to store that one bit of information.

 John K Clark