[ExI] Machine Intelligence and Religion

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Mar 4 23:43:28 UTC 2015

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace

>>…Earlier this month Reverend Dr. Christopher J. Benek raised eyebrows
on the Internet by stating his belief that Christians should seek to
convert Artificial Intelligences to Christianity if and when they
become autonomous. …

​>…He's just looking for publicity since AIs cannot possibly tithe!  bill w​

I see a problem with this already.  Christianity is based on the assumption that humans are born with a sinful nature.  It isn’t clear to me that an AI has that, in which case it might not need a savior.

It might not help in any case to convert the AI to Christianity, for a practitioner of a later, more aggressive religion might come along and say: Repent and pray five times every day, or I pull the plug.

Under those circumstances, instant conversion is understandable and most advisable.