[ExI] Morphological freedom and its limits

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Tue Nov 17 00:40:45 UTC 2015

On 2015-11-16 23:14, Adrian Tymes wrote:

> On Nov 16, 2015 2:41 PM, "Anders Sandberg" <anders at aleph.se
> <mailto:anders at aleph.se>> wrote:
> > Fine. But suppose you were setting up rules for enhancement. What
> kinds of evident harm would be evident to you?
>
> Largely the ones already covered by existing laws.
>
> Yes, that's not the answer you - or many people - want to hear, as it
> is the complete opposite of justifying Doing Something re: changing
> the laws or making new ones to deal with this new scenario.

Heh. You don't think I am libertarian about enhancement?

While I agree there is a temptation to Do Something, there is also an
interesting issue of what makes doing something actually appropriate.

> Unfortunately, it is also the truth: for the most part, it's not a
> matter of making new laws, but of correctly enforcing the ones we
> already have.

Currently many laws prevent enhancement - whether drug or pharmaceutical
laws banning non-therapeutic use, regulations making doctors gatekeepers
of any bodymodification technology, reprotech laws banning certain forms
of reproduction or genetic enhancement. If you don't think these laws
are right, you need to find arguments why they are excessive in order to
convince people to roll them back.

One could argue that maybe "tech will find a way" and that fixing
regulations/policies is not necessary. But I think this is empirically
wrong: GMO is seriously held back worldwide by EU import restrictions,
pharma companies are not developing enhancers because the regulatory
risk is overwhelming, and we know nanotechnology got badly sidetracked
because a particular research sociological constellation hijacked
funding from the original vision. There is no ban on anti-ageing
research, yet the funding is minuscule because there is no strong Do
Something support for it.

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute