[ExI] Morphological freedom and its limits

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 05:14:24 UTC 2015

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 4:40 PM, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

> On 2015-11-16 23:14, Adrian Tymes wrote:
>
> Unfortunately, it is also the truth: for the most part, it's not a matter
> of making new laws, but of correctly enforcing the ones we already have.
>
> Currently many laws prevent enhancement - whether drug or pharmaceutical
> laws banning non-therapeutic use, regulations making doctors gatekeepers of
> any bodymodification technology, reprotech laws banning certain forms of
> reproduction or genetic enhancement. If you don't think these laws are
> right, you need to find arguments why they are excessive in order to
> convince people to roll them back.

Or apply the correct enforcement: none, in this case.

Those laws are good evidence for why merely making new laws is not the best
way to Do Something about new tech.  That said, they also aren't ironclad:
I've seen an increasing number of stories of people who test body
modifications upon themselves, for instance.  (I do not see it as a bad
thing that, prior to sale to the general public, proposed modifications
should be proven safe and effective.  That there are rules and regulations
about this does not make it impossible, or even unreasonable in many cases.)