[ExI] Limits of human modification

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 15:50:59 UTC 2015

 The subjective measure would be a test of well-being.

How about using happiness as a test of gene modification?  It can be
predicted well.  Just add a chromosome 21 and you have Down's Syndrome.
Happiest people in the world - sunny.  Average IQ = 25.

Plenty of highly creative people have been manic-depressive and ultimately
killed themselves, and sometimes others.  Would they have been the same
without the manic-depression?

And don't we often say "Gee, that person had all the advantages.  Why are
they so unhappy?"

Group X may be happier on the average than Group Z, but predicting
individual happiness (or anything else) is just impossible.

​Psychology is a very long way from individual prediction.​

Ideal would be for the genetic manipulation to be reversible, so that the
affected person could choose their own modification, but in most cases this
will be impossible, I assume.  Better is if the improvement can be made in
the person's adulthood, allowing choice and preventing problems of consent.

​I like to speculate as much as anyone, but now we know so little.  We have
invented the wheel but are very far from an Indy car.

bill w​