[ExI] Limits of human modification

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 18:52:28 UTC 2015

On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 7:49 PM, Rafal Smigrodzki <
rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com> wrote:

​> ​
> I think that the most appropriate test for permissibility of human
> germline modifications should be a composite of predicted net impact on
> social utility assessed by a subjective measure

​In the entire history of the world the human race has never agreed on what
is good and what is bad, and although CRISPER may change many things I
doubt it will change that.

> ​> ​
> and an objective measure.

​And of course there is no objective measure of right and wrong.​

​> ​
> The subjective measure would be a test of well-being.

My ​
subjective measure
​ of well-being is to be smart and have smart kids, your measure may be
different but there is no disputing matters of taste.​

> ​> ​
> The objective measure would be a suitable econometric instrument, such as
> per capita GDP.

​Choose any 2 economists ​
​and they will give you 2 mutually exclusive ways that they insist is the
one and only way to increase the GDP. And that is even without CRISPER.

> ​> ​
> A first-generation IQ boost could become a net drag on the economy where
> third-generation boost is needed for an entry job, so it might become
> unacceptable.

​
And if one nation is able to prevent its people from receiving a IQ boost
you can be certain that nation will soon be a footnote to history because
other nations will not have such anti intellectual tendencies. But they
probably couldn't enforce their
Luddite proclamation because the children of those who went to the black
market and defied their rulers edict would be smarter than those who
followed the law and thus would soon be running the show.

 John K Clark