[ExI] Limits of human modification

Tara Maya tara at taramayastales.com
Tue Nov 24 01:22:22 UTC 2015

We don’t know enough yet, or at least I don’t know that we know, about what causes the more subtle disorders of the mind (or even of the body). For instance, if susceptibility to depression is caused by a single gene, I think it would be targeted for elimination. But what if it’s a lot more complicated than that? Or what if depression is one of those things that’s much more about nurture than nature?

Then there’s the separate issue of genes that are both positive/negative. Myopia is often seen with high IQ, but do they have to go together? How about depression and artistic ability? These could be linked purely by coincidence. Or they maybe linked by some common cause but can still be delinked. There are some things which probably can’t be unlinked, for instance “courage” and “taking too many risks” because they are really the same thing just seen in a different light.

Finally, all regeneration and anti-aging things I would lump under Health. I see that those would be extremely popular. If we could actually find genes that would enable us to …say… regrow a limb or stop aging, it would be very hard for any government to outlaw the spread of such a gene. The human desire for better health, longer life and endless youth is too strong.

Here’s a question. If you could choose immortality for your children, but not yourself, would you do it?

Tara Maya
Blog <http://taramayastales.blogspot.com/>  |  Twitter <https://twitter.com/taramayastales>  |  Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Unfinished-Song-Epic-Fantasy/310271375658211?ref=hl>  |  Amazon <http://www.amazon.com/Tara-Maya/e/B004HAI038/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1349796143&sr=8-2-ent>  |  Goodreads <http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/2951879.Tara_Maya>