[ExI] Limits of human modification

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 01:32:57 UTC 2015

On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 7:22 PM, Tara Maya <tara at taramayastales.com> wrote:

> We don’t know enough yet, or at least I don’t know that we know, about
> what causes the more subtle disorders of the mind (or even of the body).
> For instance, if susceptibility to depression is caused by a single gene, I
> think it would be targeted for elimination. But what if it’s a lot more
> complicated than that? Or what if depression is one of those things that’s
> much more about nurture than nature?
>
> Then there’s the separate issue of genes that are both positive/negative.
> Myopia is often seen with high IQ, but do they have to go together? How
> about depression and artistic ability? These could be linked purely by
> coincidence. Or they maybe linked by some common cause but can still be
> delinked. There are some things which probably can’t be unlinked, for
> instance “courage” and “taking too many risks” because they are really the
> same thing just seen in a different light.
>
> Finally, all regeneration and anti-aging things I would lump under Health.
> I see that those would be extremely popular. If we could actually find
> genes that would enable us to …say… regrow a limb or stop aging, it would
> be very hard for any government to outlaw the spread of such a gene. The
> human desire for better health, longer life and endless youth is too strong.
>
> Here’s a question. If you could choose immortality for your children, but
> not yourself, would you do it?
>
> Tara Maya

​I assume that at some point in the future, every single human
characteristic will be found to be determined, at least in part, by genes,
perhaps quite a few of them.​

​Yes to your question.  If they don't like immortality they have options.
Perhaps if there were a way to eliminate certain memories it would be
easier to live longer.

Here's one for you all:  if you could eliminate religious feelings,
tendencies to worship gods or even people, superstitions, would you?​

Blog <http://taramayastales.blogspot.com/>  |  Twitter