[ExI] Limits of human modification

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sat Nov 28 16:22:45 UTC 2015

On 2015-11-27 02:15, William Flynn Wallace wrote:
> As for postmodernism, that was my problem - I was trying to understand
> it.  Take away the smoke and mirrors and there's nothing there.  The
> existentialists strike me much the same way.  Literary theories that I
> have read are laughable.

I think it is wrong to claim there is *nothing* there but verbiage. When
I made the same claim as you in regards to Derrida on this list many
years ago, Damien Broderick kindly demonstrated that the quote I had
argued was not even wrong actually did have some nontrivial content -
but it took a professor to dig it out. But I am happy to grant that 90+%
is just words. The issue is that the rewards are all tied to doing well
in the social environment of fellow thinkers rather than linked to
outside applicability or factors. Fields without regular feedback from
reality will become divorced from it.

Existentialism actually does have some content, but since each major
existentialist had a rather different point, there is not much overall
cohesiveness. And for every thinker with something to say, you get ten
who merely comment on them.

(I have been working on a text today on the concept of hope, and found
myself skipping between a modern analytic philosopher, Kant, Nietzsche
and Camus. Very fun. The analytic guy is very clear and dull, doing
useful but unexciting conceptual analysis. Kant is heavy and IMHO wrong.
Nietzsche is fun and succinct, makes a grand statement that is 50% a
relevant insight and 50% wrong at the same time. Camus misunderstands
Nietzsche for his own purposes and is totally right about the point he
makes, but does he need that much space to do it? Still, the prose is
readable. )

(And no, I do not plan to make my text merely a comment on what the
greats thought. I made up my own taxonomy before checking their
writings, and I am happy to see that I cover the issue in a nearly
orthogonal way. )

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute