[ExI] Limits of human modification

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 02:15:31 UTC 2015

Tar wrote:  One thing you can say for postmodernism, you don’t need math to
understand it. In fact, *you don’t really need to understand it. You just
need to be eloquent. *

----------------

That is as profound a statement as I've seen in quite some time.

Once we had Reading Through the Curriculum, Math Through the Curriculum,
Cognitive Skills Though the Curriculum and so on.  I was on a committee as
part of the last one.

I went to a convention on the subject in Chicago, came home and had to
present my findings to the committee.  I wrote a paper that limned what I
heard there - lots of BS, mostly big words like semiotics and the usual
catchphrases.  I made the mistake of telling another member about my satire.

After a page of my speech, during which all were attentive if not rapt, she
just burst out laughing and the hoax was over.

Naturally, most of them said that they knew what I was doing all along,
blah blah blah.  Horsefeathers.  They ate it up.  All you have to be, says
Tara, is eloquent, and she is right.  Making sense is optional.  Being
impressive wins the day.

How many of us, when what we read or hear is confusing, blame ourselves
rather than the writer or speaker?  I'd say probably most of us, at least
at times.  Time to rethink that. We are all pretty smart here.  If we don't
understand it, maybe it's not making a lot of sense.  (Take that, DeLillo
and Pynchon.)

Just as in the visual arts, it's what the artist says about the work that
sways critics, not the image so much.  In an entirely different context,
this is what makes for great salespeople (just add the right clothes and
body language and facial expressions.  If you study persuasion, as I do,
these are great models of it.)  As a professor my attitude was :  this is a
performance, it's selling psychology - it's Showtime!

As for postmodernism, that was my problem - I was trying to understand it.
Take away the smoke and mirrors and there's nothing there.  The
existentialists strike me much the same way.  Literary theories that I have
read are laughable.

For Tara:  there is a difference between emotional and social
intelligence.  One would think that if one had the former, then one would
not make big social blunders, as one could anticipate the emotional
reactions of others.   Not always true.  I have a lot of the former, 99%ile
actually (visual test reading emotions on faces), but not a lot of the
latter.  I speak frankly and honestly and only later learn that people were
offended.  This is typical among people high in math and music, like a
borderline Asperger's.

As for soft science, experimental psychology is fairly hard science at
times.  Clinical is not and never has been and ought to avoid using
statistics in any form.  I know.  I was trained in it, and I did it in
several mental hospitals, and I left it in disgust.  (FYI - the burnout
rate in clinical and in psychiatry in mental hospitals is very high).

​Bill W​