[ExI] Limits of human modification

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 16:49:28 UTC 2015

Anders wrote:
But I am happy to grant that 90+% is just words. The issue is that the
rewards are all tied to doing well in the social environment of fellow
thinkers rather than linked to outside applicability or factors. Fields
without regular feedback from reality will become divorced from it.

------------------------------

​My difficulty with some philosophy, esp. existentialism, stems from having
gone to a Skinnerian grad school.  If you could not put a concept into
operational terms, then you were in the wrong department.

Self, perception, consciousness, awareness, essence, instinct (my favorite
ambiguity) - very difficult to define in real world terms.  Yet 'immortal
soul' lasts and lasts despite lack of anything concrete, and seems to be a
nearly universal concept.

I agree fully with your last sentence.  How can philosophers have
meaningful conversations with one another when they cannot agree on their
terms?  I suspect that each one thinks they are right and the others
wrong.  "Boohoo, nobody wants to use my definition."

"Social environment of other thinkers".  Yes, that fine line between
agreeing too much and disagreeing too much.

Anders, what's wrong with doing your historical research first?  I thought
the idea of research was to take the ball from earlier people and then run
with it your way.  And anyway, I suspect your unconscious knowledge of Kant
etc. guided your way.  (There's a claim that cannot be refuted.)

bill w​