[ExI] Fwd: Re: R: Re: R: Re: Cramer on impossibility of FTL communication

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 17:59:23 UTC 2015

Got a bounce on this; resending.
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Adrian Tymes" <atymes at gmail.com>
Date: Sep 4, 2015 10:43 AM
Subject: Re: [ExI] R: Re: R: Re: Cramer on impossibility of FTL
communication
To: "ExI chat list" <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>

On Sep 4, 2015 9:59 AM, "John Clark" <johnkclark at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 10:39 AM, Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> ​>> ​
>>> The common cause is their entanglement, which happens at their
manufacture.

>> ​> ​
>> Or can you find me anything that directly counters this explanation?

> ​ ​
> Quasar
> ​ a billion years ago produces 2 entangled photons and sends them in
opposite directions. A billion years later and a billion light years from
its manufacturing point I spin my polarizing filter at random and it
happens to stop at 78 degrees. There is always a 50% chance a undetermined
photon will make it past a filter set at any polarization and if it does
then the photon is polarized at 78 degrees and so is it's distant brother
photon. A billion years after I made my measurement and 3 billion light
years away if somebody happened to place a filter set at 78 degrees
to intercept that other entangled photon there would be a 100% chance the
photon will get through.

> If it had gone the other way (and there is a 50% chance it could have)
and my photon had not made it through my filter then the distant photon
must be oriented at 168 degrees (78 +90) and there would be a 0% chance it
would make it through the filter set at 78 degrees a billion years in the
future and 3 billion light years away.

So are you saying that the photons must be polarized at either 78 or 168
degrees, because your filter is set to 78 and measures a photon before the
other one does?

If so, then if there existed a stream of entangled photons that the other
site (further away) split and put through an array of filters at different
orientations, could it not be determined, based on how often photons got
through which ones (and thus what the odds are for each orientation), what
your filter is set to?

(This might only be determinable to 99.999% accuracy, not 100%, but for
that we have error detecting and correcting algorithms.)