[ExI] silly 'rules'

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 05:56:18 UTC 2015

On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 2:35 PM, Ben <bbenzai at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Adrian wrote:
>
> > even adults, but definitely children, might appreciate certain forms
> > of art more if they have at least dabbled in the rudiments of the craft,
> > rather than leaving the whole thing as a black box to them.
>

> Well, that doesn't seem to work for me.  At least not with literature.
> I've written short stories of my own, here's one:
>
> Last night, I woke up in the small hours.  There was a fly buzzing at the
> window.  When I went to let it out, a cat in the street looked up at me.
>
> That's what short stories are like.  I see no difference (apart from
> length) between that and the Hemingway one that Spike posted.  What do
> people see in them?  I have no idea.

 TBH, I too saw that particular story as somewhat boring and bland, a bad
example of what stories can be and why they appeal.  Perhaps the biggest
problem that stood out to me: too many lines that were all-dialogue, not
indicating what was happening in the scene (or at least giving reminders
who was speaking).

I've written quite a few stories over the years - some just for fun, some
for sharing.  http://www.fanworks.org/view.php?storyid=373 is technically a
fan work, but I think you'll be able to understand most of it without
knowing the series it's based off of.  (Warning: it does get a bit dark,
but I'm trying for something that's an obvious contrast with that Hemingway
story.  Even if you can't quite describe what's different, hopefully you
should at least be able to tell that something is indeed substantially
different, other than just the length.)