[ExI] former deceased nfl players...

Dan danust2012 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 03:29:25 UTC 2015

> On Saturday, September 19, 2015 5:21 PM spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
>
> Every time we buy a ticket to a pro football game, every time we
> patronize a college bowl game or even the local high school team,
> we encourage a sport for which we now have pleeeeenty of evidence
> wrecks their brains, plenty.  Ja I know it is a fun sport to watch.
> But it is bad news, very bad news.  If we participate at any level,
> we have helped these galoots do this to themselves.>

> Go ahead, I am prepared to have my ass kicked, and I probably deserve
> it.  But football wrecks brains, and our society causes football.

> So where is the collective guilt?

I don't feel guilty* for others' actions, especially when I don't actively support their actions. However, anyone who pays taxes is forced to subsidized sports arenas, including football games. That should stop completely, especially since these arenas are mainly a form of corporate welfare for the politically connected sports franchises.

I'd add, too, there might be other negatives here. I think team sports tend to foster something akin to a tribalist outlook, reinforcing a fairly bad aspect of human psychology.

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my Kindle books via:
http://www.amazon.com/Dan-Ust/e/B00J6HPX8M/

* Which isn't to say I'm unfeeling toward suffering, but empathy and sympathy need not involve guilt or accepting blame.