[ExI] before?

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Apr 2 17:34:12 UTC 2016

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of spike
…

>…For myself, I am an open person who will tell you my grandmother's shoe size if asked… I don't care what anyone knows about me as long as my Visa card is safe…BillW

Does your grandmother have any say in the matter?…spike

BillW, since you are telling the world your grandmother’s shoe size, are you willing to share her medical records too?  Do all your cousins share your openness point of view?

While we are dealing with these kinds of questions, do let me make sure everyone here knows what is possible using only current commonly-used technology.  Most of us here already know that 100 dollar DNA kits are available.  I have bought about a dozen of these myself.  Using just the information provided by those kits, it is possible to figure out a person’s DNA even if they have been gone a long time: you get a bunch of cousins together, see which segments you share, then you know your common ancestor had those segments.  If you are patient and have several cousins willing to play along, you can piece together grandma’s genome posthumously, like a jigsaw puzzle.  Then once you have that, you can look for those known segments in a new cousin and figure out which likely family branch they swung down from.

This can be done today, using GEDmatch.com.

BillW, suppose it is your insurance company and you are betting your money that this client will live, the same client that is betting that she will get sick and die.  Do you want this kind of info?