[ExI] before?

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 03:13:14 UTC 2016

On Sat, Apr 2, 2016 at 11:58 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> Julian Assange was rudely shouted down here by privacy advocates and left
> the list over 20 yrs ago, but now I don’t think he was entirely wrong.  He
> was right on about many of the things he wrote.

### I remember arguing with Eugen Leitl about Brin's book. He fell off the
radar, seemingly.

Anyway, back then I pointed out that surveillance is something that
technology wants. Individual humans may not want surveillance but the brute
fact of the matter is that technology reduced the price of surveillance by
many orders of magnitude already, and further reductions are likely. And if
the price goes down, consumption of surveillance will go up, whether by
government or by companies or by private citizens. There is no escaping it,
so we have to learn to live with it, reduce the negatives and maximize the
positives, just like with any other inevitability.

Rafał