[ExI] openness again

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sun Apr 3 00:12:04 UTC 2016

I remember being introduced to the openness debate on the list back in
the paleolithic. David Brin's "The Transparent Society" was fresh and
new (and oh so prophetic!), the cypheranarchists were fiercely debating
with the transparency people, and the nanotech subset was considering
just how radical radical surveillance could be.

My own view is basically that (1) Brin is right: transparent,
accountable open societies for the win. But (2) to really work they need
to be tolerant.

(1) is why the Snowden affair didn't disturb me by revealing massive
surveillance, but by revealing how entrenched secrecy and lack of
accountability is in the whole system - I would have no problem with
NSA/GHCQ/FRA/... monitoring everything if they were themselves
adequately monitored and kept honest. (2) is something that has crept up
in priority over the years due to globalization and new social control
applications (like the Chinese credit rating system punishing people for
associating with the wrong people, or potential gaydar software). A
global village of distributed busybodies forcing conformity with the
lowest common denominator is not good.

Privacy, integrity, security and similar things are to a large exent
psychological and social states, not states of knowledge or
technological (in)ability. When we do not listen too closely to a couple
talking in public, demand control over our different personas, or choose
to trust someone, we are implementing them socially. The issue isn't
tech, but that we are lagging behind in workable and agreed on solutions.

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute