[ExI] openness again

Nicolás Alcalá nicoalcala at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 01:57:52 UTC 2016

El sábado, 2 de abril de 2016, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> escribió:

> I remember being introduced to the openness debate on the list back in the
> paleolithic. David Brin's "The Transparent Society" was fresh and new (and
> oh so prophetic!), the cypheranarchists were fiercely debating with the
> transparency people, and the nanotech subset was considering just how
> radical radical surveillance could be.
>
> My own view is basically that (1) Brin is right: transparent, accountable
> open societies for the win. But (2) to really work they need to be tolerant.
>
> (1) is why the Snowden affair didn't disturb me by revealing massive
> surveillance, but by revealing how entrenched secrecy and lack of
> accountability is in the whole system - I would have no problem with
> NSA/GHCQ/FRA/... monitoring everything if they were themselves adequately
> monitored and kept honest. (2) is something that has crept up in priority
> over the years due to globalization and new social control applications
> (like the Chinese credit rating system punishing people for associating
> with the wrong people, or potential gaydar software). A global village of
> distributed busybodies forcing conformity with the lowest common
> denominator is not good.
>
> Privacy, integrity, security and similar things are to a large exent
> psychological and social states, not states of knowledge or technological
> (in)ability. When we do not listen too closely to a couple talking in
> public, demand control over our different personas, or choose to trust
> someone, we are implementing them socially. The issue isn't tech, but that
> we are lagging behind in workable and agreed on solutions.

> --
> Anders Sandberg
> Future of Humanity Institute
> Oxford Martin School
> Oxford University

 Like any libertarian dream, first and foremost, we need education to
achieve any form of open society. I do agree with Anders there.

And I guess it all comes back to the old good debate: *Quis custodiet ipsos
custodes?* (who watches the watchmen?)

It would be funny to make the following exercise: let's imagine a
completely open and accountable society. You are tagged and publicly
exposed in almost every aspect of your life.

What things would be fucked up? What would generate inequality? What
businesses would be at risk?

- Health insurance. Good for some, really bad for others.
- Small businesses and independent contractors (at least in poorer
societies where b money is a big part of the economy).
- How would relationships work? Would you be asked to share your tinder
hook ups? Only the really important relationships? Marriage?

 *Nicolás Alcalá - *Storyhacker Extraordinaire
*  Nicolasalcala.com <http://nicolasalcala.com/>*
*  Futurelighthouse.com <http://futurelighthouse.com/>*
*  mobile:* +34616453784
*  twitter: *@cosmonauta