[ExI] Whistling past the graveyard

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 18:13:40 UTC 2016

John Clark - No but there is a big difference between ​the GO program that
Google engineers originally wrote and the Go program that beat the human
world champion after evolving into something new from playing the game with
itself millions of times and learning to get better.

 Yes, but isn't it still the programmers' expertise?  Isn't that what the
programmers expected it to do?  There is no creativity here that I can tell
unless it's the programmers'.  And will stay that way until the computers
program themselves (Yes, I know that they can do that, but still isn't that
attributable to the programmers?  In other words, the computer cannot be
smarter than its programmers, right?  Of course it can do unexpected things
even if the code is not flawed, and then I assume that the computer is
given ways of rating the various outcomes it produces - or can it produce
its own validity tests?)

bill w