[ExI] Whistling past the graveyard

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 12:11:21 UTC 2016

On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 9:56 PM, Henry Rivera
<hrivera at alumni.virginia.edu> wrote:
> Even if we concede moving of goalposts being somewhat
> unreasonable/unfair, I'm with the skeptic who posted here recently
> representing the opposition, I forget who, in believing we are very
> far from developing strong AI, if it's even possible. My take is that
> conscious machines are really what people are thinking of when they
> refer to AI, not superior automated Go decision-tree-machines. People
> will argue about whether (implied) strong AI is possible on the
> internet until this is resolved, but it's an empirical question
> ultimately. So time will tell. This article I saw recently sums up the
> problems with strong AI well, I think. The author references Searle
> and Feynman.

I suspect that even human-level AI will continue arguing on the
internet that AI is or is not capable of consciousness.  By design,
human-level AI would still fight over qualia... just like humans.
(though perhaps, there would be novel approaches leading to the
declaration of ineffability)