[ExI] Whistling past the graveyard

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Thu Apr 7 10:29:14 UTC 2016

On 2016-04-07 06:33, Rafal Smigrodzki wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 10:53 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net
> <mailto:spike66 at att.net>> wrote:
>

>     I can think of one definition of AI which would never move.  If we
>     do accomplish true AGI, it will self-improve recursively.  This is
>     the singularity.  When or if that happens, the debate is over.
>

> ### AlphaGO performed domain-specific recursive self-improvement. It
> played against itself, using results from each game to make the next
> game more advanced. At first it must have played like a small child
> that only knows the rules and some moves, then by reapplying the same
> cycle of move generation, game, result evaluation and modification of
> move generation rules it very quickly went superhuman.

I think Spike was thinking about the architecture being self-improving
rather than the content of the architecture. But there are at least in
principle models that improve their architecture, such as Schmidthuber's
Gödel machine. That one is implementable, but I have never seen any
evidence it is improving in an accelerating manner.

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute