[ExI] will macaskill article

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Apr 25 15:41:55 UTC 2016

Anders is this a friend of you?  He seems to be channeling you in this
article.

http://fourhourworkweek.com/2015/11/22/will-macaskill/?utm_campaign=outbrain
<http://fourhourworkweek.com/2015/11/22/will-macaskill/?utm_campaign=outbrai
n&utm_medium=social&utm_source=simplereach&sr_source=lift_outbrain>
&utm_medium=social&utm_source=simplereach&sr_source=lift_outbrain

Will MacAskill on Effective Altruism, Y Combinator, and Artificial
Intelligence

 <http://fourhourworkweek.com/2015/11/22/will-macaskill/#comments> 39
Comments

Share this:

*
<http://fourhourworkweek.com/2015/11/22/will-macaskill/?share=facebook&nb=1>
Facebook549
*
<http://fourhourworkweek.com/2015/11/22/will-macaskill/?share=twitter&nb=1>
Twitter
*
<http://fourhourworkweek.com/2015/11/22/will-macaskill/?share=email&nb=1>
Email
*
<http://fourhourworkweek.com/2015/11/22/will-macaskill/?share=reddit&nb=1>
Reddit
*

Written by  <http://fourhourworkweek.com/author/tferriss/> Tim
FerrissTopics:  <http://fourhourworkweek.com/category/the-tim-ferriss-show/>
The Tim Ferriss Show

Will MacAskill (Photo: Sam Deere)

"We want to disaggregate benefits and aggregate costs." - William MacAskill

Will MacAskill ( <https://twitter.com/willmacaskill> @willmacaskill) is an
Associate Professor in Philosophy at Lincoln College, Oxford. Just 28 years
old, he is likely the youngest associate (i.e. tenured) professor of
philosophy in the world.

Will is the author of  <http://amzn.to/1OSLV35> Doing Good Better and a
co-founder of the "effective altruism" movement. He has pledged to donate
everything he earns over ~$36,000 per year to whatever charities he believes
will be most effective.

He has also cofounded two well-known non-profits:  <https://80000hours.org/>
80,000 Hours, which provides research and advice on how you can best make a
difference through your career, and <https://www.givingwhatwecan.org/>
Giving What We Can, which encourages people to commit to give at least 10%
of their income to the most effective charities. Between them, they have
raised more than $450 million in lifetime pledged donations, and are in the
top 1% of non-profits in terms of growth.

He is one of the few non-profit founders who have gone through
<https://www.ycombinator.com/> Y Combinator; for-profit companies get
$120,000 for 7% of equity; as a non-profit, 80,000 Hours got $100,000 for 0%
of equity.

In this episode, we discuss his story and a ton of actionable tips,
including:

*	Why "following your passion" in a career is often a mistake.
*	Thought experiments: Pascal's Wager versus Pascal's Mugging.
*	Why working for a non-profit straight out of college is also a
mistake.
*	How it's possible to "hack" doing good in the same way you would a
business.
*	Implications of artificial intelligence.
*	The best ways to really evaluate if you (or charities) are going
good in the world.
*	The reasons donating to disaster relief typically isn't the best use
of your money.
*	Why ethical consumerism typically isn't a great way to do good.
*	Running a non-profit in the Harvard/Navy SEALs of startup
incubators: Y Combinator.

*	Listen to it
<https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-tim-ferriss-show/id863897795?mt=2>
on iTunes.
*	Stream by
<http://traffic.libsyn.com/timferriss/Tim_Ferriss_Show_-_William_MacAskill.m
p3> clicking here.
*	Download as an MP3 by
<http://traffic.libsyn.com/timferriss/Tim_Ferriss_Show_-_William_MacAskill.m
p3> right-clicking here and choosing "save as."

Want to hear another podcast related to philosophy from a
<http://fourhourworkweek.com/2015/07/08/sam-harris-on-daily-routines-the-tro
lley-scenario-and-5-books-everyone-should-read/> world class philosopher? -
Listen to my conversation with
<http://fourhourworkweek.com/2015/07/08/sam-harris-on-daily-routines-the-tro
lley-scenario-and-5-books-everyone-should-read/> Sam Harris. In this
episode, we discuss his daily routines, the Trolley Scenario, and 5 books
everyone should read (stream below or
<http://traffic.libsyn.com/timferriss/Tim_Ferriss_Show_-_Sam_Harris_QnA.mp3>
right-click here to download):

  _____

This podcast is also brought to you by  <https://wealthfront.com/tim>
Wealthfront. Wealthfront is a massively disruptive (in a good way)
set-it-and-forget-it investing service, led by technologists from places
like Apple and world-famous investors. It has exploded in popularity in the
last 2 years and now has more than $2.5B under management. In fact, some of
my good investor friends in Silicon Valley have millions of their own money
in Wealthfront. Why? Because you can get services previously limited to the
ultra-wealthy and only pay pennies on the dollar for them, and it's all
through smarter software instead of retail locations and bloated sales
teams.

Check out  <http://wealthfront.com/tim> wealthfront.com/tim, take their risk
assessment quiz, which only takes 2-5 minutes, and they'll show you-for
free-exactly the portfolio they'd put you in. If you want to just take their
advice and do it yourself, you can. Or, as I would, you can set it and
forget it.  Well worth a few minutes:  <http://wealthfront.com/tim>
wealthfront.com/tim.

This podcast is also brought to you by
<http://mizzenandmain.com/collections/tim> Mizzen + Main. These are the only
"dress" shirts I now travel with - fancy enough for important dinners but
made from athletic, <http://fourhourworkweek.com/shirts> sweat-wicking
material. No more ironing, no more steaming, no more hassle.
<http://mizzenandmain.com/collections/tim> Click here for the exact shirts I
wear most often. Don't forget to use the code "TIM" at checkout.

QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: What is your favorite charity and why do you
donate?Please let me know
<http://fourhourworkweek.com/2015/11/22/will-macaskill/?utm_campaign=outbrai
n&utm_medium=social&utm_source=simplereach&sr_source=lift_outbrain#comments>
in the comments.

Scroll below for links and show notes.

Enjoy!

Selected Links from the Episode

*
<http://www.amazon.com/Doing-Good-Better-Effective-Difference/dp/1592409105/
?tag=offsitoftimfe-20> Doing Good Better by William MacAskill
*	The Atlantic's profile piece on
<http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/06/what-is-the-greatest-go
od/395768/> William MacAskill
*	Learn more about standout charities at  <http://www.givewell.org/>
GiveWell.org
*	Learn more about  <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal%27s_Wager>
Pascal's Wager
*
<http://www.amazon.com/Reasons-Persons-Derek-Parfit/dp/019824908X/?tag=offsi
toftimfe-20> Reasons and Persons by Derek Parfit
*	Seeking to make a career choice?  <https://80000hours.org/> Visit
80000Hours.org
*	Non-human sources for charity at
<http://www.animalcharityevaluators.org/> Animal Charity Evaluators and
<http://www.goodventures.org/> Good Ventures
*	Learn more about  <http://www.questbridge.org/> QuestBridge and
listen to my conversation with
<http://fourhourworkweek.com/2015/08/31/the-oracle-of-silicon-valley-reid-ho
ffman-plus-michael-mccullough/> Reid Hoffman and the QuestBridge team
*	Learn more about  <https://www.duolingo.com/> DuoLingo
*	Visit  <http://thefounderspledge.org/> The Founders Pledge to
promise 2% of your company's exit sale price
*	Read
<https://gigaom.com/2007/05/09/the-dangerous-myth-of-the-dream-job-1/> The
Dangerous Myth of the Dream Job
*
<http://www.amazon.com/Mindfulness-Eight-Week-Finding-Peace-Frantic/dp/16096
18955/?tag=offsitoftimfe-20> Mindfulness by Mark Williams and Danny Penman
*
<http://www.amazon.com/The-Power-Persuasion-Were-Bought/dp/0471763179/?tag=o
ffsitoftimfe-20> The Power of Persuasion by Robert Levine
*	Learn more about mobility and posture at
<http://www.mobilitywod.com/> Mobility WOD
*	Learn more about
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Theroux%27s_Weird_Weekends> Louis
Theroux's Weird Weekends
*	Want to experiment with turning around back pain? Here are some

*
<http://www.amazon.com/Teeter-Hang-Ups-Gravity-Boots/dp/B000DLB8RU/?tag=offs
itoftimfe-20> Teeter Hang Ups Gravity Boots

*
<http://www.amazon.com/Teeter-Hang-Ups-Inversion-Relief/dp/B007ZURALK/?tag=o
ffsitoftimfe-20> Teeter Hang Ups EP 960 Inversion Table

*
<http://www.amazon.com/Teeter-Hang-Ups-Back-Stretcher/dp/B000PX1YDY/?tag=off
sitoftimfe-20> Teeter Hang Ups P3 Back Stretcher

*          <http://www.activerelease.com/> Seek an ART Practitioner

*
<http://www.amazon.com/Chimpanzee-Politics-Power-among-Apes/dp/0801886562/?t
ag=offsitoftimfe-20> Chimpanzee Politics by Frans de Waal
*	Seeking more thoughts on big career choices? Listen to my interview
with
<http://fourhourworkweek.com/2015/09/22/scott-adams-the-man-behind-dilbert/>
Scott Adams
*	Seeking to give more? Check out  <https://www.givingwhatwecan.org/>
Giving What We Can
*	Learn about and connect with William MacAskill:

 <http://www.effectivealtruism.org/> Effective Altruism |
<https://twitter.com/willmacaskill> Twitter |
<https://www.facebook.com/wdcrouch> Facebook