[ExI] physics

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 18:14:09 UTC 2016

To define space, you need something break the symmetry.  So… by that line
of reasoning, space didn’t exist before the big bang.  The matter and
photons created in that event defines space.
Spike

Or maybe they popped in from a nearby universe?  I first got tagged as an
atheist by students who heard me say of the BB,  "Why does it have to be a
'who'?"

If I can stretch it a bit, via Anders,and believe that emptiness can be
impenetrable, then I can live through creating something from nothing, if
that's the current theory.  I have yet to have heard from anyone who was
there at the Big Bang, so my 'knowledge' is tentative.

Prior to this I believed that the BB started when all the matter that now
exists was in a ball the size of ????, but at least it was a ball of
something.  It is hard not to think that what happened at the BB was the
logical result (i.e., cause and effect) of what preceded it, but now we are
told that nothing preceded it, as time was created at the same time as
matter.

It just happened, you say.  But try to sell that to most people and they'd
rather believe in God, I think.

Of course, as we already know, what is believed now will be wacko in 50
years or less, eh?  What if you had tried to sell all of this to a
physicist living in the 1850s?  You'd be locked up, natch.

I get the feeling that there is a myriad of theories running around in
physics.  String theory is the most popular, I hear, although it has no
data supporting it.  Is this nuts or what? (or did the Higgs boson showing
up do something to that?)

Personally, I think that if one has to create something that has never been
observed to explain data, one is in trouble.  (dark matter)

OTOH, it is rather mild compared to things created in psychology (anal
fixations, collective unconscious, etc.)

Another feeling is that there was some kind of unity in physics before
Einstein, or maybe, again, I am ignorant.

bill w