[ExI] save the art tech

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 16:25:58 UTC 2016

On 9 August 2016 at 16:45, William Flynn Wallace  wrote:
> Given the incredible state of the art in some tech, I wonder if my fantasy
> tool has come into being.
>
> Consider the sculpture of David in Florence.  What if it fell somehow?
> Could it be reproduced in tiny detail?
>
> Of course three D images are routine, I suppose, and the resolution could
> take it down to the millimeter level.
>
> So here is my question to any of you who are up on these things:  could a
> robot duplicate David?  Equipped with the 3D and tools to chip/sand/whatever
> away marble or granite?
>
> If so, then of course new sculpture could be created on some software and
> created by robots.
> I am guessing that if the technology does not exist now, it soon will.

Heh!  :)  You are over-thinking this problem. There are already
thousands of copies of David around the world.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replicas_of_Michelangelo%27s_David>

I think they just make a cast from the original and produce lots of
copies. This is done for other art works as well. I've got the Mona
Lisa hanging in my dining room.  :)

BillK