[ExI] Meta question

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 17:25:50 UTC 2016

If utility is purely about merely maximizing the money you have, then
there's a problem, but if being treated equitably is also part of a
person's utility, then accepting a unfair payout might lower their utility,
no

dan

Yes, of course.  I posted it to poke a little fun at people who think they
know how to measure utility..  When I went to law school I learned about
the rational man idea - what would he do or think.  Then along comes
economic theory, which in the older form seems to think that everyone is
the same as far as interpreting economic value and such.  Some people may
think mostly about money and some about equity and some, like those of us
on in the group, are ornery and may change our values according to the
situation.

Just how can Anders group parse that?  How do you put all that into
equations?  Seems pretentious or maybe over-simplifying human behavior.
 (now I could get an even more complicated response from Anders that I will
fail to follow in its entirely)

bill w