[ExI] Meta question

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Fri Aug 19 19:53:27 UTC 2016

On 2016-08-19 18:25, William Flynn Wallace wrote:
> Just how can Anders group parse that?  How do you put all that into
> equations?  Seems pretentious or maybe over-simplifying human
> behavior.  (now I could get an even more complicated response from
> Anders that I will fail to follow in its entirely)

Mostly because our equations are about AI. The designers can build AIs
to have a particular utility function, and that will be it. Humans are
messy and might not be well described even by complex utilities. But at
least some AI can be analysed in great detail by this formalism.

(I'm actually more interested in neuromorphic systems that borrow their
structure and hence also messiness from biology; they will of course at
most have approximate utilities.)

Note that lacking a utility function does not mean you are irrational.
It is just that you may have messy, probabilistic goals that are not
known entirely to yourself.

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute