[ExI] libertarians at work!

Anders anders at aleph.se
Sat Aug 27 14:58:17 UTC 2016

I love this campaign. The best way of undermining bad laws is to make
them look foolish. And anybody trying to defend the gun/dildo
distinction is going to be met with Zardoz quotes.

On a more serious libertarian/transhumanist note: one big problem for
many of our interests is that many activities we think would be great -
enhancement drugs, life extension treatments, morphological freedom -
currently are restricted because of overly restrictive laws. Things get
even worse as you get closer to drug laws, where essentially religious
views are allowed to dominate over empirical evidence of harm reduction.
To a non-American it is pretty clear that American gun views are not too
dissimilar from the religious views.

Now, the question I think is worth investigating is how one could fix
the plethora of overly restrictive laws. Poking fun at the most stupid
ones is useful, especially since it reduces the "religious" aspect - if
people are not believing in it seriously enough they get undermined. But
it seems that the overly restrictive laws are more resistant to
fun-poking. Any ideas there? Any great practical jokes we need?

On 2016-08-26 19:30, Dan TheBookMan wrote:
> Does anyone feel the need to choose? Why not permit both guns and dildos?
>
> Regards,
>
> Dan
> Sample my Kindle books via:
> http://author.to/DanUst
> On Aug 26, 2016, at 9:25 AM, William Flynn Wallace
> <foozler83 at gmail.com <mailto:foozler83 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>> 'Cocks Not Glocks' Is The New 'Make Love Not War'
>>
>> It’s hard to make friends at a new school sometimes. Fortunately,
>> student activists at the University of Texas at Austin are passing
>> around dildos
>> <http://dailypnut.us9.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=e8d181bde02154228dd7d7c0a&id=132e716a7f&e=595a16146c> to
>> act as 12-inch icebreakers to get the students talking about campus
>> laws. A group called /Cocks Not Glocks/ is giving realistically
>> sculpted rubber companions to the student body, asking people to
>> carry them in protest against the state’s “campus carry” law. The
>> university allows registered gun owners to bring their weapons to
>> class, yet it’s still technically illegal for people to bring a dildo
>> to campus. Cocks Not Glocks has distributed more than 5,000 dildos in
>> the past five days, donated by sex shops, giving activists a
>> new weapon of choice.
>>

>> from the daily pnut

Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute