[ExI] Bell's Inequality

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Thu Dec 1 16:24:42 UTC 2016

Jason Resch wrote:
<Are you familiar with:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compatibilism ?
[...]
I am a compatibilist when it comes to freewill and determinism.>

Thanks for the link, I will look into it.

Jason Resch wrote:
<Someone earlier stated Bell's Inequality implies we have to give up one
of: locality, determinism, or realism. This list is incomplete, we must
give up one of: locality, determinism, realism, or counterfactual
definiteness.
Counterfactual definiteness means experiments have only one outcome. MWI
gives up counterfactual definiteness and retains locality, determinism and
realism.>

My understanding of counterfactual definiteness is that it is very
specific type of realism. It is the notion that objects have measurable
properties that have a definite value even if measurements are not made.

For example, whenever you list your weight on a driver's license
application without weighing yourself beforehand, you are assuming a
counterfactual definiteness to your weight. Even if you were off by a few
pounds, the idea is that if you were to weigh yourself, you would measure
a certain weight and that's how much you actually weigh even if you didn't
bother weighing yourself.

If you give up counterfactual definiteness, it means you don't have a
weight when you are not standing on a scale. So I am not sure what you
mean by saying that "MWI gives up counterfactual definiteness".

My biggest concern with MWI is that it requires the Universal Wave
Function to be objectively real, not merely a mathematical abstraction. So
if the UWF is objectively real then that means the infinite-dimensional
Hilbert space that describes it is objectively real. So where is this
gigantic Hilbert space hiding? Why do we only perceive 3+1 dimensions in a
multiverse controlled by an infinite dimensional Wave Function? What is
the relationship of our percievable space-time to the Universal Wave
Function and the Hilbert space in which It dwelleth?

Stuart LaForge