[ExI] AI Translation

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Dec 20 00:46:36 UTC 2016

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of John Clark

>…One of the below is pure Hemingway and the other is ​

Hemingway translated to ​Japanese and then translated by Google back to English, see if you can tell which is which:​

"… Close to the western summit there is the dried and frozen carcass of a leopard. No one has explained what the leopard was seeking at that altitude."

"… Near the top of the west there is a dry and frozen dead body of leopard. No one has ever explained what leopard wanted at that altitude".

>…The first one is pure Hemingway's and the second went through 2 translations, one of them make by a machine. Pretty damn good…John K Clark

WOWsers, that is a big improvement.  I could tell which is which, but only because I am a big fan of Hemingway.  He used words copiously, but never wasted them.  A subtle example would be “frozen dead body” which is not Hemmingway’s way.  He might have said “dry and frozen leopard” as an alternative, or “dry and frozen leopard carcass” but Papa would not have penned the redundant “frozen dead body.”

I learned a lot from Hemingway.  He demonstrates excellent craftsmanship in his writing.  Somehow it feels like every word in his passages have pointers to every other word.