[ExI] Google’s Go Victory Is Just a Glimpse of How Powerful AI Will Be

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 23:26:57 UTC 2016

 Mike Dougherty wrote:

"People will adapt" should be an unacceptable attitude.

And I agree with that.  I hear stories about engineers 'doing their own
things' and presenting their products to upper management.  Then the
marketing people tell them that it might be OK for engineers but not for
regular people (whoever those are).  Make it user friendly in the current
cant.  This problem has plagued PCs from the beginning and is still a
problem.

I wish marketers would take their products and present them to us ordinary
people and watch them through a one-way mirror.  The people in charge of
packaging (much less things in kits) would get a real lesson is how hard it
is for older folks to just get into their product without injuring
themselves!  Surely there are ways to make packaging user friendly and
theft resistant at the same time.

I know little of AI but I do read that they are trying make them learn and
adapt as a person would.  That way the adaptation can go both ways - you
get used to it and it gets used to you.  Like raising a child.

Now if it ever comes to pass that we can download our brains, then we can
download them into our robots etc. (leaving the original intact, of course)
and they would understand us perfectly.  However, think of the problems
involved if the person in question is a contrarian.  Endless arguments with
your appliance.

bill w