[ExI] the next 20 IQ points

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Feb 10 04:28:04 UTC 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Hibbert [mailto:hibbert at mydruthers.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 09, 2016 7:42 PM
To: extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org
Cc: spike <spike66 at att.net>
Subject: Re: the next 20 IQ points

On 2/9/16 10:47 AM, extropy-chat-request at lists.extropy.org wrote:
>>... My phone knows where I am always.  I want it to tell me when I am near

> or upon interesting landmarks, historical stuff.  Here I am right near
> some of the oldest remaining landmarks in the Silicon revolution...  I
want to know that
> kinda stuff.  No particular reason, might not even cover my head and
> worship prostrate before it.  Well, OK I might do that.

>...There's an app for that! Try downloading "Field Trip" for your smart
phone (whichever variety you use.)  Disclaimer: I used to work for the group
that produced Field Trip...

Cool, thanks Chris!  Where the heck have you been hanging out, me lad?  We
haven't heard from you in a long time.

>...BTW: I like your concept of "the next 20"...Chris Hibbert

At least 20.  This is one of the few tech advances that will not take us by
surprise.  We can see this one coming, and we want it.

When we are right there at the place where something happened, we take a new
interest, we learn about that topic.  It takes on a reality that we miss
when we are elsewhere.  Your Field Trip app is app-ropriately named.  Well
done sir.

Consider, that place over not far from that first Fairchild building, where
they are building the Apple Mothership.  How many geeks are going to know
what was there before the flying saucer?  HP had its headquarters there.  I
never worked at HP, but I had friends who did, and lived just across the
way.  We used to go walk the HP campus, just because it was a nice, clean
safe place to exercise.  In the old days it was an open campus.

I want the Field Trip app to give us a feel of the fourth dimension, to tell
us when we are over there and cross Homestead on Wolfe going south: Today
this is Steve Jobs' vision of an office building, but before that HP had its
head shed here, from 1960 to 2009 and yakkity yak and bla bla, and before
that this was a cherry orchard and before that the Ohlone people
unsuccessfully struggled to master knapped flint, and before that the
mastodon roamed the area, etc.

I want to have it give me a good useful logarithmic timeline.  If we had
that everywhere, we would get a better feel for where we are on the timeline
of technological history and where the next few decades might take us.