[ExI] Gravitational Waves Detected By LIGO!

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Feb 12 01:00:28 UTC 2016

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf
Of Anders Sandberg
Sent: Thursday, February 11, 2016 3:29 PM
To: extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org
Subject: Re: [ExI] Gravitational Waves Detected By LIGO!

On 2016-02-11 17:50, spike wrote:

Anders, cool, but we need to know how GW energy would interact with matter
before we conclude that it would nuke biomes.

>.OK, I was using the normal style of energy estimates used in supernova
xrisk considerations.

>.Now, for gravitational waves being lethal, the strain must presumably be
large enough to cause induction of forces that are damaging. To a ~1 m
object like a human, you probably need a strain on the order of more than
1/100 to induce damage (1/10 seems really likely to do it). The strain
scales as 1/r, so given that the detected strain here was on the order of
10^-19, we get dangerous strain when 10^17 times closer to the source (which
is at around 410 Mpc). That is, we get dangerous strain within 126,526
kilometers.

.
--

Anders Sandberg

Cool, thanks I am feeling better already.

When I was doing these calcs a long time ago it was before the internet
really amounted to much of anything.  I don't recall using the strain
criterion.  Really don't remember how the hell I figured it out and can't
find the calcs.  I found the notebooks from that timeframe, but not those
BOTECs.

Shows to go ya: write it in some form you can retrieve it later.

Now that I think about it, I have never seen merging black holes or GWs as
an explanation for the silence of the cosmos.

Oh this is a fun time to be alive, oh my, oooooooh what an orgasmic time to
be here.