[ExI] Gravitational Waves Detected By LIGO!

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Fri Feb 12 02:24:04 UTC 2016

On 2016-02-12 01:00, spike wrote:

> Now that I think about it, I have never seen merging black holes or
> GWs as an explanation for the silence of the cosmos.

Me neither. I was actually a bit surprised today when I did my skim of
the literature - people love to claim their favorite astronomical
phenomenon causes the Fermi paradox, but nobody seems to have argued for
black hole mergers. Gamma ray bursts, sure, even supernovas and gas
clouds, but no mergers.

I am working on a paper on the Fermi paradox actually. Somewhat
pessimistic conclusion in terms of number of aliens, but rather hopeful
in terms of the great filter. Will post more when I get the numbers
properly. But first things first: statistics of confused underwriters
this week, next week statistics of confused SETI researchers!

(If anybody has seen a good table of different published estimates for
the Drake equation parameters from different authors, I would be much
obliged: I am having great fun compiling an overview of who thinks what
about the parameters.)

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute