[ExI] Gravitational Waves Detected By LIGO!

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 16:06:38 UTC 2016

On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 2:52 AM, Tomaz Kristan <protokol2020 at gmail.com>
wrote:

​> ​
> You may be right, The fact that LIGO is currently down can explain a lot.
> But when it will go online again, we will see. If there will not be very
> frequent  detections, of a much greater events also, this one was a fluke.
> For there is a constant rain of black holes onto those supermassives. Have
> to be.
> ​  [...]​
> By "rain" I mean at least one every second in the observable Universe. Had
> to be, for number reasons.

​The number of gravity wave events that LIGO will be able to detect depends
on:

1) How big the black holes that merge are.
2) How far away the black holes are.
3) How common the much weaker source of 2 neutron stars merging is.
4) How sensitive LIGO is.

How did you calculate that "
at least one every second
​" figure?​