[ExI] need a new word/suffix

Tara Maya tara at taramayastales.com
Tue Jan 12 01:28:15 UTC 2016

Well, that’s part of the book’s argument, which is that the process of language change is slow, and many variations (mutations, if you will) co-exist, often over centuries. The process of one form outperforming another to eventually become the dominant variation is slow. To the extent that people perceive the changing tide, it’s usually to complain about the slovenly speech patterns of the young.

Writing masks the changes in speech, because the written form changes even more slowly.

Tara

> On Jan 11, 2016, at 3:26 PM, Dan TheBookMan <danust2012 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Jan 11, 2016, at 3:01 PM, Tara Maya <tara at taramayastales.com <mailto:tara at taramayastales.com>> wrote:
>
>> “Gotta” and “Gonna”, however, are well on their way to being legitimate grammatical forms. I just finished The Evolution of Language which describes old forms die and new ones are formed. Fascinating!
>>
>> Tara
>
> Don't you think they If you listen to speech, "gotta" and "gonna" seem to have been standard in most English dialects for a long time now? It's more that the written standard is more open now. Not to say the written standard was formerly static. And what's written rarely is consistent with what's spoken -- both in spelling (matching pronunciation) and syntax.
>
> Don't believe I've read that book.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dan
>   Sample my Kindle books via:
> http://author.to/DanUst <http://author.to/DanUst>_______________________________________________

Tara Maya
Blog <http://taramayastales.blogspot.com/>  |  Twitter <https://twitter.com/taramayastales>  |  Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Unfinished-Song-Epic-Fantasy/310271375658211?ref=hl>  |  Amazon <http://www.amazon.com/Tara-Maya/e/B004HAI038/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1349796143&sr=8-2-ent>  |  Goodreads <http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/2951879.Tara_Maya>