[ExI] Cosmopolitanism, collective epistemology and other issues

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 08:27:08 UTC 2016

On 9 July 2016 at 22:15, Anders  wrote:
> There are three reasons Brexit disturbs me: (1) it represents a rejection of
> cosmopolitanism, (2) it represents a serious failure of collective
> cognition, (3) it likely has somewhat bad effects for me.

Ooooh!  Now we can bore US list members with a month-long argument
about Brexit!  :)

I think the most significant factor was that the voting patterns
showed a London 'bubble' voting to Remain and almost all the rest of
England voting to Leave the EU. This was England rebelling against
rule by 'rich' Londoners.

Outside London feels ignored and disenfranchised. "No Taxation Without
Representation". (Familiar to Americans?).
People voted that had never voted in their lives before. This is a
significant event.

Many people think that the EU is a dictatorship which is on the verge
of collapse anyway. I would not be surprised if more countries leave
the EU within a year or two. The discontent among the 'groundlings' is
growing.

BillK